As the largest multilateral borrower and lender by volume, we provide finance and expertise for sound and sustainable investment projects which contribute to furthering EU policy objectives. More than 90% of our activity is focused on Europe but we also implement the financial aspects of the EU’s external and development policies. Lending is by far our principal activity, accounting for around 90% of our total financial commitment. We lend to clients of all sizes to support sustainable growth and jobs. Our support is often central to attracting other investors. As well, we have a variety of sophisticated tools to help clients blend our financing with additional sources of investment. We also offer advice to help maximize value for money.
We work to promote sustainable growth and job creation by supporting the following action areas:
- Small and medium sized enterprises: the creators of 80% of new jobs
- Regional development: to address economic and social imbalances between regions
- Environmental sustainability: including both climate action and investment in the urban and natural environment
- Innovation: promoting skills and innovation at every level
- Trans-European Networks: linking Europe’s infrastructure, principally in transport
- Energy: building competitive and secure supply